Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Change and The Painted Door....



Photo Credit  www.theberry.com 
     'When one Door Closes...Another opens" as tired a phrase as it may be , it is apt. There are a great many opportunities in change, and refusing to adapt to it, quite often, just leaves you on the wrong side of the door.
     I like to look at Change as a catalyst to creativity, How do I adapt what I do to suit these changes , or if they cannot be adapted, how do I change what or how I do things? It's not as scary as you think it is... it can be a lot of fun.  Sometimes you just have to scrap it all and start from scratch, but that can be fun too!  Being intimidated by change is normal, we are always frightened by what we don't know or understand, but the best way to deal with the unknown, is to get to know it.

"NEW" DecoArt Media



  New Art and Craft Products are a perfect example, as products in this industry change constantly!
      Knowing  what you are working with and what it's limitations are, is the first step. Dig in , read everything the manufacturer has to say about it's product and how to use it. Look for project sheets, product information, and Tutorials.  Ask other designers, and artists what they do with it, what they use it for, what they recommend.
      Then it's time to get dirty, start playing with it, see how it responds to the brush , to the cloth,to the knife.  Manipulate it, colour it, wash over it, push it through stencils , stamp with it, stamp on it, freeze it, thaw it, spray it, TRY anything with it! Do a hundred sample boards with it, see what makes it work and what makes it fail. When you do these things  you will clearly see the potential in a product as it applies to your work. Not only that, you will have a clear understanding of what the product is capable of.
     All too often artists won't attempt things with a new product because " I don't want to waste it"........ it IS wasted if all it does is sit on the paint rack. If you learn something from it while playing and experimenting , it has NOT gone to waste. Even if what you learned , is that it isn't for you.
     Trying out new Products in your  design work can have a positive and rejuvenating effect, on both your work and on your attitude. We can often get a little bogged down and uninspired , adding a twist to what you already do, can often be just what the DR Ordered to put the spring back in your brushes.

Photo Credit Tracy Weinzapfel Studios 

      You want a twist?? You have to Check out Tracy Weinzapfel Studios....Here is an artist that just runs with it!!
     She is utterly fearless when it comes to playing with product. She has tremendous creativity and a go for it attitude when it comes to change. She has a very positive approach with a  colourful personality and exudes confidence ! All of those attributes are reflected in her work! It's colourful, vibrant and dynamic and above all it's FUN!

Utilizing and capitalizing on the change within the industry and with product, is essential to a fresh take on your artwork. We creative types get bored easily...as is evidenced by the STASH of STUFF that we have collected. I for one will have to live to 125 to paint and paint with  everything I have accumulated , and thats assuming I Don't accumulate more in the mean time.

Change to this industry  with Shop Closures, and The minimization of the Big Boxes in the last decade has brought us  to Web Ordering for supplies, to Video Tutorials right at home via You Tube and Streaming Sites. It has brought us to E Patterns and E Zines. Blogs and Online courses , things that didn't exist  just 10 yrs ago. It has opened up the WORLD to us as designers and painters. Change... Is a good thing , if we embrace it's potential.

When One door Closes....it gives you the opportunity to paint the other side of the door .








 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds like me. As bad as I hate to admit it, I never wanted to waste a product. But how will I ever know the potential or limitation of a product if I just take others' reviews? Not again. I'm going to play with my toys unmercifully! I'm learning to have the confidence to play outside the sandbox! Thanks for another good kick in the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thats what I like to hear!!! Get in there get dirty! You'll be amazed at what you learn !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny you should mention Tracy Weinzaphel as she is the one that has inspired me. She struck me as a regular person who if she didn't like the color she changed it. I always felt like I had to keep going or I would have wasted it. I found you through her. Thanks for reinforcing the fact that it's ok to try things and fail, for that is not a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh. You know Tracy, I'm always scared of using a product needlessly and wasting it. Ridiculous considerations of course! I've managed to get over my paper wasting..... I just buy more. Lol. I will take on board what you've said. Promise. By the way, see you in 125 years!! Lolol xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh. You know Tracy, I'm always scared of using a product needlessly and wasting it. Ridiculous considerations of course! I've managed to get over my paper wasting..... I just buy more. Lol. I will take on board what you've said. Promise. By the way, see you in 125 years!! Lolol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh. You know Tracy, I'm always scared of using a product needlessly and wasting it. Ridiculous considerations of course! I've managed to get over my paper wasting..... I just buy more. Lol. I will take on board what you've said. Promise. By the way, see you in 125 years!! Lolol xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I also used to say I had to live into my hundreds to use my stash. Now I say maybe 100 cause I am destashing and using my stuff. Finally I am being brave and never happier. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete